The shipwreck


The war of conquest took place between 1754 and 1763. This war pitted the French, their militia of New France and their Amerindian allies on one side, and the British, their American militias and their Iroquois allies on the other, for the colonial domination of North America.

 

During this war in 1757, an expedition was organized against Louisbourg. Lord Loudon commanded 12,000 men on land, and Admiral Holburne, who sailed with his fleet from Corke in May 1757, joined the troops that Lord Loudon had brought from New York to Halifax, Nova Scotia.

 

On 9 September the fleet was anchored at Chebucto Head, tre were: Newark, Northumberland, Terrible, Orford, Somerset, Nassau, Bedford, Windsor, Nottingham, Defiance, Eagle, Centurion, Kingston, Sunderland, TILBURY, Nightingale, Hunter, Ferret, Lighting and Gibralters. (Synopsis of Captain Holmes of H.M.S. Grafton).

 

In convoy to Louisbourg, September 24, 1757, anchored between St-Esprit and Fourchu (Fuchett). Sunday the 25th around 3 o'clock in the morning, the wind rose, took size until a violent storm of the East, South-East. Between 8 and 9 o'clock, the wind changed further south and stronger, large waves were coming from the east.

 

Several boats had thrown between 6 and 16 guns to better float, several boats had one or more broken mats. The Tilbury struck a shoal and ran aground 3/4 mile from the edge. Captain "Barnesly" perished in the sinking as well as about half of the crew. The second captain "Thane" was rescued. The survivors became French prisoners, although they were treated well by their captors.

 

 

Extract from the  Duke of Luynes memoirs on the court of Louis XV (1735-1758)

 

"The pitiable state in which the illness which had been placed in our vessels had reduced our crews, joined to the separation of one of our ships which had been sent to Canada, prevented our General from listening to his first design, and he was forced to confine himself to Defensive if the superiority of the enemy could have made him hold some enterprise This circumstance obliged the English, who probably had no other object than to see us go out to prolong their cruise, but they were wiped by a gust of wind which dispersed all Their squadron We left Louisbourg in confidence that they had lost at least 3 of their ships in this same hurricane which was the 66-gun Tilbury which was thrown on the coast 10 leagues from Louisbourg independently of several others which were dismasted. many of the Tilbury's men escaped the sinking amounted to 250 that we ironed on our squadron This suspended event the course of their enterprises in these seas, and determined their return to Europe, with the regret of having made the immense expenses of such a considerable armament for so tragic a flock. This last circumstance determined M. Dubois de la Mothe to repair as quickly as possible the damages to the Tonnant of 18 guns in the same gust of wind and to take care of the soiu of the departure"

 

 

 

 

The discovery of the wreck


Since September 25, 1757, no one had officially found the true position of the sinking of the Tilbury. The boat contained a treasure, but some of it was probably picked up by the survivors or was scattered at the bottom and on the edge of the beach.

 

The first research began on July 26, 1981, by Gilles Brisebois, his wife Lucille and their children: Jean-François and Martin.

 

The searches continued during the holidays in 1983. but without results.

Revisited research in 1985. by Gilles Brisebois and Pierre Leclerc, but they remained vain again that year. Pursued in the summer of 1986, they have borne fruit: discovery of the wreck on July 14 by Gilles and Pierre.

 

Already having a salvage license, they began recovery after notifying the Receiver of wrecks. The work lasted six weeks. they also continued digging the following summer for seven weeks.

 

they found only 44 out of 60 guns, musket bullets, various "artifacts", 23 pieces of the bell, the main anchor, cannonballs, and of course gold and silver coins. they found only 16 gold and 430 silver.

 

 

http://diablesdesmers.qc.ca/tilbury.htm

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerre_de_la_Conquête

Musée national de la Marine [CeCILL (http://www.cecill.info/licences/Licence_CeCILL_V2-en.html) or CC BY-SA 2.0 fr (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/fr/deed.en)], via Wikimedia Commons

 

Le naufrage

 

La guerre de la conquête eu lieu entre 1754 et 1763. Cette guerre opposait les Français, leurs milice de la Nouvelle-France et leurs alliés amérindiens d’un côté, et les Britanniques, leurs milices américaines et leurs alliés iroquois de l'autre, pour la domination coloniale de l'Amérique du Nord.

 

Durant cette guerre en 1757, une expédition fut organisée contre Louisbourg. Lord Loudon avait le commandement de 12,000 hommes sur terre et l'amiral Holburne qui avait navigué avec sa flotte, de Corke en mai 1757, rejoint les troupes que lord Loudon avait amené de New York à Halifax en Nouvelle-Écosse.

 

Le 9 septembre la flotte était ancrée à Chebucto Head, il y avait le: Newark, Northumberland, Terrible, Orford,Somerset, Nassau, Bedford, Windsor, Nottingham, Defiance, Eagle, Centurion, Kingston, Sunderland ,TILBURY, Nightingale, Hunter, Ferret, Lighting et Gibralters. (Carnet de bord du capitaine Holmes du H.M.S. Grafton).

 

En convoi vers Louisbourg, le 24 septembre 1757, à l'ancre entre St-Esprit et Fourchu (Fuchett). Dimanche le 25 vers 3 heures du matin, le vent s'éleva, prit de l'ampleur jusqu'à une violente tempête du Est, Sud-Est. Entre 8 et 9 heures le vent changea plus au sud et plus fort, de grandes vagues arrivaient de l'est.

 

Plusieurs bateaux avaient jeté entre 6 et 16 canons pour mieux flotter, plusieurs bateaux avaient un ou plusieurs mats de cassés. Le Tilbury frappa un haut-fond et s'échoua à 3/4 de mille du bord. Le capitaine "Barnesly" périt dans le naufrage ainsi qu'environ la moitié de l'équipage. Le capitaine en second "Thane" fut rescapé.  Les survivants sont devenus des prisonniers français, bien qu'ils aient été bien traités par leurs ravisseurs.

 

Extrait des mémoires du Duc de Luynes sur la cour de Louis XV (1735-1758)

 

"L état pitoyable où la maladie qui s étoit mise dans nos vaisseaux avoit réduit nos équipages joint à la séparation d un de nos vaisseaux qui avoit été expédié pour le Canada empêcha notre général d écouter son premier dessein et il fut forcé de se borner à la défensive dans le cas où la supériorité de l ennemi auroit pu lui faire tenler quelque entreprise Cette circonstance obligea les Anglois qui n avoient vraisemblablement d autre objet que de nous voir sortir à prolonger leur croisière mais ils essuyèrent t un coup de vent forcé qui dispersa toute leur escadre Nous sommes partis de Louisbourg dans la confiance qu ils avoient perdu au moins 3 de leurs vaisseaux dans ce même ouragan dont fut le Tilbury de 66 canons qui fut jeté sur la côte à 10 lieues de Louisbourg indépendamment de plusieurs autres qui furent démâtés Le nombre des hommes du Tilbury échappés au naufrage monte à 250 que nous avons repassés sur notre escadre Cet événement suspendit le cours de leurs entreprises dans ces mers et détermina leur retour en Europe avec le regret d avoir fait les dépenses immenses d un armement aussi considérable pour une aussi tragique lin Cette dernière circonstance détermina M Dubois de la Mothe à réparer avec toute la promptitude possible les avaries arrivées au Tonnant de 18 canons dans le même coup de vent et à s occuper du soiu du départ "

 

 

La découverte de l'épave

 

Depuis ce 25 septembre 1757, personne n'avait officiellement trouvé la vraie position du naufrage du Tilbury. Le bateau contenait un trésor, mais une partie fut probablement ramassée par les survivants, ou fut éparpillée au fond et sur le bord de la grève.

 

Les premières recherches ont débutées le 26 juillet 1981 par Gilles Brisebois, son épouse Lucille ainsi que leurs enfants: Jean-François et Martin.

 

Les recherches se sont continuées pendant les vacances 1983. mais sans résultats.

Reprises des recherches en 1985. par Gilles Brisebois et Pierre Leclerc, mais elles demeurèrent vaines encore cette année-là. Poursuivies à l'été 1986, elles ont portées fruits: découverte de l'épave le 14 juillet par Gilles et Pierre.

 

Ayant déjà un permis de sauvetage, ils ont commencés la récupération après en avoir averti le Receveur des épaves. Le travail dura six semaines. ils ont également poursuivi les fouilles l'été suivant durant sept semaines.

 

ils ont retrouvés seulement 44 canons sur 60, des balles de mousquet, différents "artefacts", 23 morceaux de la cloche, l'ancre principale, des boulets de canons, et naturellement des pièces d'or et d'argent. ils ont trouvé seulement 16 pièces d'or et 430 d'argent.

 

Heures D'ouverture

Opening Hours

LUNDI

MARDI

MERCREDI

JEUDI

VENDREDI

SAMEDI

DIMANCHE

FERMÉ

FERMÉ

SUR RENDEZ-VOUS

10H00 - 21H00

10H00 - 21H00

10H00 - 16H00

10H30 - 15H00

MONDAY

TUESDAY

WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY

FRIDAY

SATURDAY

SUNDAY

CLOSED

CLOSED

BY APPOINTMENT

10:00AM - 9:00PM

10:00AM - 9:00PM

10:00AM - 4:00PM

10:30AM - 3:00PM

ADRESSE / ADDRESS

372 Saint-Louis

Gatineau Québec J8p 8b3

CONTACT

le30sou@gmail.com

819-643-3033

FOLLOW
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Google Places Social Icon
  • ebay
SUIVRE
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Google Places Social Icon
  • ebay